The University of Southern Mississippi UHC Student Center
Enrollment or Waiver Welcome Page

Note: For best results, please use your desktop or laptop computer. Student Center is not supported for mobile devices.

Welcome to the University of Southern Mississippi Student Health Insurance Enrollment or Waiver Application.

USM requires Graduate Assistants, International Students and Residence Assistants to have health insurance, both to protect against unexpected high medical costs and provide access to quality care. This site contains information about the USM sponsored plan (Plan) with UnitedHealthCare Student Resources (UHCSR). The enrollment or waiver process must be completed on this site. Please follow the links below.

Student Enrollment or Waiver Provisions:

  • The enrollment or waiver process is an annual one. You must make a selection each academic year.
  • The decision to enroll in or waive off the sponsored Plan is for the entire year, not just for the fall semester.
  • Graduate Assistants, Resident Assistants, and International Students who do not respond by September 8, 2016 will be automatically enrolled and will be responsible for the premium.
  • International Students may waive out of the sponsored Plan if their current benefits/coverage is equal to or greater than the sponsored Plan.
  • USM reserves the right to audit all waivers in order to ensure compliance with USM insurance requirements. Please be sure to have a copy of your insurance policy as you may be asked to provide this documentation.
  • The UHCSR reserves the right to make the final determination regarding eligibility for initial and continued enrollment in this insurance Plan.
  • The Plan brochure, a full description of coverage, etc. can be found here: Brochure

Eligibility Criteria:

Graduate Assistants, Residence Assistants and International Students are required to enroll in or waive off the Plan and will be automatically enrolled in the Plan unless a waiver is submitted and approved by January 24, 2017. To enroll, please follow the enrollment instructions below.

Dependents of Students: Covered Students may enroll their lawful spouse and dependent children. Children under age 26 are eligible. To enroll eligible dependents, enroll yourself first, then enroll dependents using the UHCSR MyAccount on line self-service.

Need Help?

If you have questions you may contact the following USM resources:


What To Consider Before You Start a Waiver Application

If you currently have health insurance with another insurance company, verify that your current benefits/coverage provide adequate coverage. Adequate alternate coverage must:
  • Be in force for the entire academic year
  • Have at least $500,000 Annual maximum benefit
  • Cover both inpatient and outpatient care (including mental health) in the area
  • For International Students must include Medical Evacuation and Repatriation

Consider the following in evaluating your current health insurance before waiving the school sponsored Plan:
  • Will you be aging off your parents’ health insurance plan and will be left without coverage at some point during this year on your twenty-sixth birthday?
  • Is the sponsored Plan annual premium more affordable than your parents/spouse/employer’s annual premium?
  • Will you have insurance for a non-emergency services while on campus? Note: Many HMOs do not cover non-emergency services outside their home area.

Before beginning this waiver process, have the following materials with you:
  • Your current health insurance plan ID card
  • Your health insurance brochure or plan description

Upon completion of your waiver application you will be sent an email to your address verifying the status of your waiver application as either approved or denied. Please click below to begin the waiver application.


If you are a Graduate Assistant and wish to enroll in the USM sponsored Plan with UnitedHealthcare Student Resources, DO NOT wait to be defaulted onto the Plan if you desire coverage! Follow the link below and log in to the enrollment site using your USM Student ID number and your date of birth to accelerate processing and the receipt of your insurance card.
  • If you are a Residence Assistant, your premium is paid in full by Residence life.
  • If you are a Graduate Assistant, you are only responsible for 1/2 of the premium
  • If you are an International student other than G.A., you are responsible for the full premium

  •  Enrollment Form

Once you are enrolled if you would like to enroll your dependents please click the following link or go to
 Dependent Enrollment Form